Now that we're staying in more, it's time to get creative in the kitchen. Enjoying a plate of Classic Risotto Milanese will leave you wanting for more of this rich, creamy, earthy dish. The shaved fennel salad adds a little something extra to this classic golden dish.
Ingredients for the Risotto (serves 2):
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cup arborio rice
- 2 pinches saffron
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ¼ cup heavy cream
1. Heat the stock in a pan over a very low heat – have a ladle at the ready. Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick pot. Add the onion and a large pinch of salt, then cook, stirring, for 5 mins until softened and fragrant but not colouring.
2. In a separate small sauce pot, warm the heavy cream over a low heat. Add the saffron, allowing it to steep in the cream for 3-4 mins. Set aside.
3. Add the rice to the onions and coat in the oil, cooking for a few mins until beginning to toast. Add the saffron cream to the rice. Mix well.
4. Begin to add the stock, a ladle at a time, stirring continually. Add more stock as it’s absorbed. After 30 mins (approx. 5 ladels of stock) the rice should be creamy and al dente. If the rice is still too crunch, add more stock till absorbed.
5. Add the parmigiano and butter, stir until melted. Take off the heat.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Rocket leaves, large bunch
- 1 large orange, supreme
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced thin on a mandolin
- 1-2 tbsp good quality Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Aceto Balsamico
- 1tsp green Mykchillisauce
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, green #mykchillisauce, salt and pepper till combined well.
2. In a large bowl, toss the rocket, orange and fennel with the above dressing. Top the risotto with the salad and enjoy!